1 cup shortening
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
peppermint bark - homemade or store bought. I got mine from Trader Joe's.
Candy canes - crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, peppermint and vanilla and beat until nice and fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to wet mixture and mix in thoroughly.
4. Chop peppermint bark into small pieces, about 1/2" by 1/2". Roll dough into 1-2" balls with a piece of peppermint bark inside.
5. Bake on cookie sheet for 8-9 minutes. Let cool on the pan. While cookies are still hot, sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
Note: These are really good warm when the chocolate in the center is all nice and gooey, but they also can be enjoyed at room temperature.